Monday, April 28, 2014

Book Review: Undead Pool (The Hollows #12) by Kim Harrison


Published: February 24, 2014 Voyager
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Format: e-book
Source: Purchased

*Since this one is so far into the series, you may not want to continue with this review as no matter how hard I try, it may contain spoilers
Goodreads Summary

Witch and day-walking demon Rachel Morgan has managed to save the demonic ever after from shrinking, but at a high cost. Now strange magic is attacking Cincinnati and the Hollows, causing spells to backfire or go horribly wrong, and the truce between the races, between Inderlander and human, is shattering. 

Rachel must stop the occurrences before the undead vampire masters who keep the rest of the undead under control are lost and it becomes all-out supernatural war. However, the only way to do so is through the ancient elven wild magic, which carries its own perils.

Well worth the wait.


I am now craving the final installment to this series. The best thing ever is that it will be released in a matter of months.

The Good


The magic in The Hollows for Rachel in particular has been on this upward slide making her more and more powerful with each book. I loved where the magic went this time around. So different, and yet something that she can relate to. I enjoyed seeing her vulnerable and strong all at the same time. She is a very complicated character, and I love her more for it. She's grown exponentially since the first book. Watching her apologize for things that she used to snap back some sassy comment to was endearing, but what's the greatest is that she didn't lose that side of her either. You just better watch who you are and how you are coming at her. She's making tougher, and BETTER choices.

The intricate world that Harrison has created becomes even more evolved. All the pieces, from the different species she has crafted to the specific individuals that I've come to love of those species were well represented in Undead Pool. I adore how the threads are coming together in this one to tie up for the finale. Rachel has grown to the point where accepting help from others if they want to offer it is second nature. She knows her friend's and allies' strengths and she has no problem utilizing them. This might be one instance where everyone has to come together. The big bad in Undead Pool is unpredictable at best, loony, and very hard to combat. If you thought Kusox was tough, just wait.

The pacing and the general 'What is it? What's happening?' moved the story along well. Almost to the point where I was whining when I'd see my percentage bar on the Kindle way past the point I'd like it to be. I could've continued on for quite some time, but where it ended was good and settled...for now.

The Bad

*Neither of these kept me from ADORING the book...just a heads up to potential readers.

I'm honestly not sure how readers are going to feel about Al in Undead Pool. I know that I am a fan of Al as well as many others so I'm hoping his story is followed up well from this one. Basically, I'm not seeing how this can be where it stays for him so I'm looking forward to how he's brought to me in the last one.

I will say that there were moments of confusion for me. I caught on quickly so it passed, but I did have scrunched eyebrows trying to work out things that are explained better later on.

The Romance


For many books now, readers have been greatly anticipating Rachel's HEA with a certain man...er...yeah. I know I've been on the edge of my seat waiting and waiting to see how this will turn out. I'm not going to tell you though...this really is something that you have to read for yourself.

Conclusion


Reading The Hollows is like coming home and getting into my p.j.'s after work. So comfortable and a happy moment that I am thrilled to enjoy. Undead Pool definitely did not disappoint. Everything about this read impressed me. Recommended beyond a doubt.


Excerpt

I was confusing work with everything else - and I was done with being confused.

Why had it  gone white, and right before the misfire? 
"Edden, I had nothing to do with it," I complained, not entirely sure anymore. "I can't tap a line over the water, and the I.S. knows it. If I could, I wouldn't have gotten stuck in that...whatever it was. It was all I could do to get out. This is the second misfire I've been in today, and I want my car!"

Forty years of carefully built coexistence gone in five terrifying minutes. We were that close to losing it all.

Shoulders stiffening, I twisted my lips as something not altogether unpleasant slowly crept through me. 
"Ah," Jenks said as he hovered beside Ivy. "Should your auras be glowing like that?"
"My aura is glowing?" I said panicking.


3 comments:

  1. I can't WAIT until you read it. I need someone to gush about it with :D It was fantastic. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I am one book behind so I can't read much but wow, 6 stars. I am so effing excited!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah!! Well, I couldn't read the review because, as you know, I'm a book behind in the series. (soon to be rectified!) But SIX STARS????? Wow, it really rocked your socks off, huh? *squeee* I can't wait to get caught up, Jaclyn! I'm so happy you loved it! And I'll read your review once I've read the book. ;) Happy Monday!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!